The Institute for Ceramic Education (ICE), affiliated to Cermalab offers its brick-making course over a period of sixteen weeks (the 8 Module Basic Brick-making Sandwich Course), providing that no fewer than ten (10) students attend.
• The geology of clays
• Mining of raw materials
• Feeders, conveyors, screens etc
• Crushing and grinding
• Forming methods
• Drying and drying systems
• Firing and firing systems
• Quality Assurance & Quality Control
Pieter du Toit, M.Sc. Engineering Ceramics.
Dries van Vuuren, B.Sc.(Hons.) in Ceramics Technology.
The quality control course for brick makers is designed to provide learners with the necessary practical skills to perform the in-process inspection and control of the manufacturing processes .
THE COURSE CONTENTS :
1.When and where to do in-process testing in the factory.
2. Random and representative sampling.
3. Standard process control tests.
4. Testing methods: mix calculations, moisture contents, shrinkage, particle size, column hardness, dimensions wet , dry and fired, lab firings, water absorption and strength .
5. Chemical analysis, mineralogical analysis, differential thermal analysis, thermal gravimetric analysis , thermal expansion.
6. Final product testing: shape, size, grade, dimensions, warpage , efflorescence, strength, water absorption, moisture expansion, soundness, soluble salt content.
7. The use of statistics to collect data, analyze the data, summarize that data and then report the results in an unambiguous and unbiased format.
Courses Facilitators :
Dries van Vuuren: B.Sc (Hons.) (Ceramics Technology )
Bruce Berger: B.Tech. Refractories Engineering